Wednesday, 12 April 2017

Guitar Vinci Amp Rig

Reflecting the pared-down approach to my recording guitars on the new EP, I used a basic but versatile amp rig for the tracking of The Guitar Vinci Code. Apart from one clean chord part recorded with a plugin, I used a Mesa/Boogie RectoVerb25 head and CabClone interface exclusively for all electric guitar tracks.
The RectoVerb25 is an amazing piece of equipment - a two-channel amp with two preamp settings and separate reverb on each channel, plus an effects loop. The amp's 25w power rating is deceptive, as I found out when playing a live auditorium show some time prior to recording, and while it is the baby of the Rectifier family, it's certainly not the runt of the litter.

The Mesa/Boogie CabClone is a simple and effective speaker simulator/interface that has some very useful cabinet settings to compliment the amp, and I pretty much left it set on open-back for all the sessions. From saturated rhythms and solos to clean sounds that could shimmer or grind, I found the match of Mesa/Boogie and Ormsby to be one made in tone heaven. Between the amp and the guitar pickups I found every tone that I needed for every track, with minimal tweaking and processing. For such a minimalist recording rig, I was beyond impressed.

I'm looking forward to finding more sounds from this rig as I get back in to the studio to see what awaits - I'll be sure to keep you updated!

Mesa/Boogie RectoVerb25 and CabClone

No comments:

Post a Comment